Sun-dried Tomato Pesto

It's been a couple of weeks since I updated this blog, but thesis writing has been getting the best of me. We had an elaborate plan for this weekend to cook up a bunch of things, but because of many-a-reasons, those plans got cancelled, though, I currently have something awesome on the stove that will be ready by lunch tomorrow (yes, it takes that long to make). Any way, initially, today's menu was going to feature loobia polo (green bean pilaf) for lunch and some sort of lamb steak for dinner, but instead, I ended up eating a smoked turkey sandwich at the canteen for lunch (gack) and getting confused about what to eat for dinner.


While walking around the supermarket, though, I realized that I still have a heck lot of giant pasta shapes sitting at home, along with some Parmesan Reggiano and pine nuts from way back when I made the basil pesto. So, I thought that maybe the best thing to do would be to get rid of these things to make some more space in the kitchen. Instead of basil, I decided to make it with semi-sundried tomatoes. I'm so glad I did, too, because it was much much much better than the basil variation, if that's even possible.



The pasta shapes I used (paccheri napoletani... massive tubes) were not the best for pesto, but like I said, I wanted to finish what I had sitting around. Whatever the shape, the pesto tasted great... much better than any of the store-bought varieties, so unlike the basil pesto which was great but nothing that spectacular, this is something I can see myself making again in the very very near future.

Ease of Cooking Yummy Factor Apprx. Cost
HK$55 (US$7)
Ingredients (Serves 3)

  • 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup parmesan reggiano
  • 1/4 cup basil leaves
  • 3 tbsp pine nuts, lightly roasted
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • Pasta shapes, cooked

Directions

  1. Combine all the ingredients together in a food processor or grinder, and churn away until you get a nice, moist paste (with a bit of texture left, of course)
  2. To serve, mix it up with the cooked pasta shapes, and it's as easy as that!


Popular Posts